ADULT LEARN-TO-SWIM PROGRAM
According to the Centers for Disease Control, 37% of American adults cannot swim the length of a 25-yard pool. Even more alarming is that of the 10 drownings that occur each day in this country, 8 of those victims are adults or young adults. This alarming trend can be reversed and it's up to YOU! We are glad you're taking the first step in learning to swim.
The Adult Learn-to-Swim Program is a partnership between Indy Aquatic Masters and Indy Parks. Indy Aquatic Masters is an aquatic program is dedicated to helping adults 18 years of age and older incorporate healthier lifestyles through swimming. And, at Indy Aquatic Masters and Indy Parks, we believe it's never too early OR TOO LATE to start swimming.
The Adult Learn-to-Swim Program is designed for adults aged 18 and over. Our goal is to first make you comfortable and safe in the water. Then, skills will be added as you progress from novice to beginner to swimmer! The lesson progressions are tailored to your personal needs, so bring your suit and your sense of adventure.
Multiple sessions are scheduled throughout the year. Check out the upcoming sessions and make plans to attend now!
The IAM Adult Learn-to-Swim program consists of 6 classes over a 3-week period or 8 classes over a 4-week period. Swimmers are strongly encouraged to attend all classes in each session. Please note that there are no make-up lessons for missed classes. Classes meet at the following locations:
- Butler University: Monday and Wednesday evenings, 7:15 pm - 8:00 pm
- IU Natatorium Downtown: Monday and Wednesday evenings: 7:15 pm - 8:00 pm
- Warren Central High School: Tuesday and Thursday evenings, 7:15 pm - 8:00 pm
Beginners (Level 1): This is a beginner level class for swimmers with little or no experience. We will cover the basics of swimming strokes and water safety including overcoming fear of the water, floating, gliding, stroke introduction, and deep water skills.
Intermediate (Level 2): This is an intermediate-level class for swimmers with moderate experience who are already comfortable in the water. We will focus on skill development, including breathing, building endurance, deep water comfort, and treading water. Strokes will also be developed.
Advanced (Level 3): Level 3 swim lessons are ideal for the swimmer who wishes to further develop their swim technique and efficiency. These participants are looking to compete in triathlons or join a Masters program. Participants will explore flip turns, stroke refinement, and alternate breathing techniques. Use of training tools such as pull bouys, kickboards and hand paddles will also be introduced. (Offered at the Butler and Warren Central locations only.)
- Three week sessions (6 lessons): $75
- Four week sessions (8 lessons): $96
Payment can be made by check or credit card (VISA or MasterCard). If payment is an issue, please let us know. There are limited scholarships available.
WHAT TO WEAR/BRING TO CLASS
- Comfortable swimsuit (Women should wear a one piece that securely fits their body; bikinis are not recommended.)
- Swim cap (to protect hair from chlorinated water and keep it out of your face)
- Large or Extra large Swim Caps -If you have longer, thicker hair (hair past the shoulders) or long braids/extensions, you may consider purchasing a large cap for long hair or extra large cap designed for dreadlocks, weaves, hair extensions, etc..
- Fins - to assist with learning balance and swim technique.
There are two ways to register for the Adult Learn-to-Swim Program:
- Register online (credit card payments only); or
- Download the Registration Form and the Liability Waiver Release and mail with your check (payable to "Indy Aquatic Masters") to Indy Aquatic Masters, PO Box 30145, Indianapolis, IN 46230.
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact Program Director Pat Schenkel by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 317.796.0137.
This program is made possible in part due to the support received from the Swimming Saves Lives Foundation.