FITNESS-RELATED EVENTS AND RESOURCES
COACH'S CHAT VIDEO SERIES INTRODUCTION - Coach Todd provides a general overview launching the IAM video series including drilling with purpose, your participation, and ways to make the most of your workouts.
- IAM Coach's Chat - Week of October 2nd (Breakout Drill): Coach Todd explains our focus this week on the final phase of the underwater dolphin kicks - the breakout. The purpose of a good breakout is to help you maintain the momentum of your underwater kicks as you transition to the surface of the water to begin stroking. Two demonstrations of the breakout drill this week feature IAM member, Recie Johnson. We will also have another test set to gauge how fast you are swimming!
- IAM Coach's Chat - Week of September 25th (Dolphin Kicks and Streamline): Coach Bruce is on location in beautiful Napa Valley! And there is a prize for the first person to text him at 317-645-3448 with his specific location! This week swimmers continue to work on dolphin kicks working on all four planes. In addition, we will practice streamlining off of turns. Get ready for a test set this week!
- IAM Coach's Chat - Week of September 18th (Announcements and Underwater Dolphin Kicks): Coach Mel begins with a few announcements for this week. The focus in practices will continue on underwater dolphin kicks. Mel reminds swimmers why a good underwater dolphin kick will make you a more efficient and faster swimmer. Get ready for a test set we haven't done in a while where swimmers will be able to gauge how much all the work on underwater kicks the past few weeks has paid off!
- IAM Coach's Chat - Week of September 11th (Skinny Streamline): Coach Todd discusses streamline technique including position and timing with dolphin kicks. Get your skinny on this week for beautiful streamlines! Be ready for a broken mile test set too!
- IAM Coach's Chat - Week of September 4th (Streamline position and dolphin kicks): This week Coach Bruce continues our work on efficient and effective underwater technique with focus on tight streamlines off the walls and the underwater dolphin kick. View these supplemental videos for demonstrations:
- IAM Coach's Chat - Week of August 28th (Streamlining Underwater): Coach Mel provides some important messages for IAM members. Also, this week we will be working on streamlining underwater. Watch the demonstration videos featuring Coach Jeff B on how to perform them correctly!
- IAM Coach's Chat - Week of August 21st (C.O.D. with a Twist): Coach Todd has something different this week for IAM members! Swimmers will be incorporating dryland into the workouts this week during C.O.D's (Climb Out and Dive). For those unable to climb out of the water, modified dryland exercises are provided that can be performed in the water. And swimmers can look forward to a special favorite set from IAM member, Adam Moll, this week as well!
- IAM Coach's Chat - Week of August 14th (ALTS call-out and Breaststroke Pull): On location with an Adult Learn-to-Swim class at Lawrence North, Coach Bruce thanks our IAM instructors and facilities. All are encouraged to become involved in this important program in our community. This week's workout focus will be on breaststroke recovery and glide during the pull. Take a look at these accompanying videos:
- IAM Coach's Chat - Week of August 7th (Body Balance - part 2 & Pace work): Bring your buoys this week as we continue with body balance drills! Coach Mel has a few special things in store for swimmers including pace work and test sets. In addition, Mel gives a few shout-outs to our National competitors in swimming and triathlon! Go IAM!
- IAM Coach's Chat - Week of July 31st (Freestyle: Balance Progression): Hip position and core stability is this week's drill with purpose! Coach Todd has swimmers tuning into proper balance, aligned hips, and utilizing your core in freestyle. A drill progression using a pull buoy helps identify and feel the proper alignment with core stability and will improve your movement through the water. Check out this GoSwim video demonstrating this week's drill on balance progression.
- IAM Coach's Chat - Week of July 24th (From CSA - Freestyle: Full Extension): Enjoy a glimpse of the brand new Carmel Swim Academy while Coach Bruce introduces this week's focus on Full Extension and announces a few fun events on the horizon for our members. Please view the accompanying video demonstrating perfect extension from GoSwim: Reaching Full Extension.
- IAM Coach's Chat - Week of July 17th (Interval Training): On location from Symphony on the Prairie, Coach Mel talks about the importance of interval training including the how, what, and why. Enjoy a little bit of the ABBA concert towards the end!
- IAM Coach's Chat - Week of July 10th (Backstroke Catch): Coach Todd turns this week's focus on backstroke and the perfect catch. Listen to the three drills we will be working on to help refine your catch. And there's a special challenge on Wednesday!
- IAM Coach's Chat - Week of July 3rd (Freestyle Efficiency and Starts): Coach Bruce is on location Carmel High School including a sneak peak at the construction of the new high school natatorium! This week the focus will return to efficiency and distance per stroke as well as perfecting your starts in preparation for the upcoming meet. View the following videos to review videos on starts:
- IAM Coach's Chat - Week of June 26th (Getting involved and pushing yourself): This week, Coach Mel reminds our members of all the summer opportunities we are offering to get more involved and have some fun with IAM! Also, challenge yourself this week with the workout intervals and use equipment if needed. You might be surprised at what you can accomplish!
- IAM Coach's Chat - Week of June 19th (Beat the Clock!): Coach Todd has something special prepared for us this week to celebrate the first day of summer on Wednesday! In this video, Todd describes a unique and challenging set called "Beat the Clock!" which was submitted by IAM member, Derek Onken. Take the opportunity to push yourself a bit and have some fun!
- IAM Coach's Chat - Week of June 12th (Maintaining Stroke Efficiency with Speed): Enjoy a few cute, honorary guest swimmers in the background while Coach Bruce discusses our focus this week on speed and maintaining stroke efficiency. He also announces all the swim meet opportunities coming up this summer including the iconic Lakeside Invitational that occurs in a one-of-a-kind rock quarry!
- IAM Coach's Chat - Week of June 5th (Patience is key!): Coach Mel reminds us that improving technique doesn't happen overnight. Patience is required to get the results you seek. This week swimmers have an opportunity to focus on all the strokes and apply the drills to keep working on efficiency. Expect some good speed work this week as well!
- IAM Coach's Chat - Week of May 29th (Distance Per Stroke: Grab and Go!): Last week we worked on connecting the core to the catch. This week, Coach Todd has us gauging how well we are connecting the core to catch using distance per stroke counts. Get ready to Grab and Go to engage that core for efficient freestyle!
- IAM Coach's Chat - Week of May 22nd (Connecting the Core with the Catch): Coach Bruce discusses the importance of connecting the catch entry fully with your core during freestyle to maximize power for body-driven freestyle. Please view the accompanying video with Olympian, Jason Leezak, demonstrating this technique along with drills: Leezak - Connecting Core to Catch. Continue with Coach Bruce's chat after viewing.
- IAM Coach's Chat - Week of May 15th (Opportunity): "Opportunity doesn't goes away. It just goes to someone else." - Coach Mel Goldstein. This week Mel reminds us about upcoming opportunities and highlights the past four weeks of our focus on body position.
- IAM Coach's Chat - Week of May 8th (Backstroke Body Position): Finishing up our four week series on body position, Coach Todd discusses backstroke for this week. Todd reminds us of keeping our head back and hips up using the Four Count Pause drill to bring awareness to perfect body position and move forward more efficiently through the water. And enjoy some special sets this week in honor of one of our famous backstrokers, George Quigley, IAM's President for Life! We will be doing "The George" on Wednesday and the infamous "Quigley 50's" on Sunday! Be like George!
- IAM Coach's Chat Video - Week of May 1st (Breaststroke Body Position): Join Coach Bruce for a double feature as he conducts a dryland workout while explaining this week's focus on breaststroke body position. Bruce breaks down all the components to good body alignment including your head, arms, and legs. Several demonstrations are provided including examples of the drills to work on this week!
- IAM Coach's Chat Video - Week of April 24th (Butterfly Body Position): Coach Mel continues our focus on body position for Butterfly. He explains how the four count pause and glide drill will help us tune into where our head and body alignment should be. Use fins if you have them!
- IAM Coach's Chat Video - Week of April 17th (Freestyle Body Position): How are you moving through the water? This week, Coach Todd, helps us increase our awareness of body position with a NEW DRILL! Prepare for a week of focusing on movement through the water during freestyle and some special workouts Coach Todd has planned for us!
- IAM Coach's Chat Video - Week of April 10th (STARTS & TURNS): Coach Bruce encourages swimmers to enter the GRIN STATE meet by the April 10th deadline! This week's focus will be on the last week of preparations for fast swimming - refining your starts and turns. Check out previous videos from January and February to brush up on the fundamentals.
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of January 2nd (Freestyle Flip Turn)
- IAM Coach's Chat Video - Week of January 9th (Turn: Acceleration and Streamline)
- IAM Coach's Chat Video - Week of January 16th (Turns: Fly, Breast, & IM Transitions)
- How To Do a Dive off the Blocks | Top Tips with Olympic Swimmer Stephanie Rice - YouTube
- 3 steps to learn a competitive start | dive (Freestyle, Butterfly and Breaststroke | breast stroke) - YouTube
- How to Dive Off the Blocks FASTER | Swimming Start Tips - YouTube
- IAM Coach's Chat Video - Week of April 3rd (Let's get ready to RUMBLE!):Coach Mel wants to get you pumped and primed for some fast swimming! This week get ready to RUMBLE with workouts including speed sets and dives off the blocks. Warm up and cool down sets are also included every day to give you a sense of how to properly prepare and recover from fast swimming.
- IAM Coach's Chat Video - Week of March 27th (STARTS for Competition):Coach Todd is providing multiple opportunities this week to work on your starts off the block in preparation for the State Meet! He discusses the importance of head position, acceleration, entry, and depth. Also, check out this accompanying video demonstrating all of the components and have fun with it: How To Improve Your Starts
- IAM Coach's Chat Video - Week of March 20th (Freestyle: High Body Position & Enery Propulsion): This week, Coach Bruce introduces the Free Side Glide drill to help swimmers learn how to decrease resistance in the water and move through the water effectively. The focus of this drill will be on maintaining a high body position and "sending energy" forward to improve efficiency.
- IAM Coach's Chat Video - Week of March 13th (Freestyle: Head and Spine Alignment): Coach Mel shares his good news and tells us what would make him even happier! In addition, he explains and demonstrates this week's drill focusing on head and spine alignment in freestyle.
- IAM Coach's Chat Video - Week of March 6th (Freestyle: Recovery, Entry, & Extension): Coach Todd takes us back to the fundamentals for perfect freestyle! This week's focus is on stroke recovery, entry, and extension using a few drills to help you refine your technique. And don't miss Sunday's workout with Coach Todd for a special "aerobic monster" set!
- IAM Coach's Chat Video - Week of February 27th (IAM Member Testimonials): Don't miss this week's video recorded from some nice spots in Carmel where Coach Bruce discusses and shares our IAM members' views on participation in a Masters swim meet. Hear from members, Margo Fox, Sue Cosper, and Tom Grubb, to learn there is more to Masters swimming for everyone than just our workouts!
- IAM Coach's Chat Video - Week of February 20th (Announcements): Coach Mel takes a break from technique discussion to deliver some announcements this week!
- IAM Coach's Chat Video - Week of February 13th (FAVORITE SET WEEK!): Coach Todd discusses what to expect in the workouts this week including a continued opportunity to practice starts for those competing and a "favorite set" every day submitted by one of our IAM members! Have fun and thank the submitters for sharing their faves!
- IAM Coach's Chat Video - Week of February 6th (STARTS!): Coach Bruce this week provides opportunities for swimmers to practice starts off the blocks or edge. In addition to his chat, please review these videos demonstrating technique:
- IAM Coach's Chat Video - Week of January 30th (SPEED!): Coach Mel discusses the need for speed during our workouts whether your goals are fitness or competitive in nature. Get ready to go beyond your comfort zone this week, and you will experience the benefits for fitness and competition!
- IAM Coach's Chat Video - Week of January 23rd (TEST SET!): Coach Todd describes why we occasionally do a "test set" and the purpose of it. NEW: Swimmers attending practice on Monday will have this week's 6 x 100's test set opportunity. After Monday, two workout options are provided every day including a regular workout and the 6 x 100's test set workout. This format will give all swimmers an opportunity to participate in the test set on any day that works best for them! Download the TEST SET LOG to track your progress!
- IAM Coach's Chat Video - Week of January 16th (Turns: Fly, Breast, & IM Transitions): "Elbow your brother and call your mother!" What does this phrase have to do with swimming? Join Coach Bruce from Marco Island to learn about this week's focus on perfect fly, breast, and IM transition turns along with demonstrations!
- IAM Coach's Chat Video - Week of January 9th (Turn: Acceleration and Streamline): From warm and sunny Fort Lauderdale, Coach Mel gives us a taste of what our Swimcation attendees will experience in February and provides a physics lesson on deck! Check out this week's demonstration on how to improve your turns through acceleration and streamlining.
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of January 2nd (Freestyle Flip Turn) - Swoosh! Join Coach Todd from the ski slopes of Michigan to learn about the key focus this week for awesome freestyle flip turns! Todd shows us incorrect versus correct demonstrations on various aspects and explains this week's drills to improve your flip turn.
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of December 26th (Breaststroke Pull Timing and Extension) - Join Coach Bruce in the hot tub to chat about the breaststroke pull in terms of proper timing and extension! Each drill this week is demonstrated to help you focus on improving your pull.
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of December 19th (Breaststroke Kick Efficiency and Strengthening) - Santa delivers this week's chat with an emphasis on breaststroke kick efficiency and demonstrates the drills to improve it. He is also throwing in some strengthening "gifts" to expect in the workouts this week!
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of December 12th (Breaststroke Kick) - Coach Todd turns our focus to breaststroke kick with an emphasis on propulsion and width. And, if you have begun indulging in Holiday goodies, Todd is giving you an opportunity to burn them off this week with challenging workouts!
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of December 5th (Backstroke Rotation) - Do you rotate too much or too little? Coach Bruce focuses this week on proper Backstroke rotation along with demonstrations of this weeks' drills to improve it.
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of November 28th (Backstroke Head and Spine Alignment) - Coach Mel has a special message and request this week. Also, he continues our focus on backstroke this week with attention to proper head position and spine alignment.
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of November 21st (Backstroke Entry and Catch) - Coach Todd turns our focus from freestyle these past few weeks to backstroke! Check out the video demonstrations highlighting a few drills to perfect your backstroke entry and catch.
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of November 14th (Freestyle - Common Mistakes Review and Breath Exhalation) - Do you hold your breath when swimming? Coach Bruce challenges swimmers this week to perform an experiment to answer this question while discussing the importance of relaxed and even breath exhalation. He also provides a review on common freestyle mistakes and the drills to correct them.
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of November 7th (Early Vertical Forearm) - Coach Mel reiterates the importance of drills and reminds us, "It's not about the yards you swim. It's about what you do with the yards you do swim!" Building off Lenny the Lumberjack's drills last week, Mel discusses the importance of Early Vertical Forearm and the drills this week to perfect it.
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of October 31st (Halloween edition: Freestyle Core Engagement) - Welcome to this week's special Halloween edition with Lenny the Lumberjack (a.k.a. Coach Todd) discussing freestyle core engagement and the drills to improve it! Get ready to chop some lumber!
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of October 24th (Backstroke Turn and Streamline) - Join Coach Bruce for an enjoyable fall stroll with beautiful foliage while he discusses and demonstrates this week's focus on backstroke turns and streamline!
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of October 17th (Butterfly Breathing Pattern) - Coach Mel focuses on the breathing pattern in Butterfly this week to improve your butterfly efficiency. He also announces the Fitness Challenge coming this week as well as a MYSTERY SET on Saturday!
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of October 10th (Proper Freestyle Breathing) - Coach Todd discusses this week's focus on correct freestyle breathing in terms of timing and place. And it's CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE week with interval options and a few favorite sets from our IAM members!
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of October 3rd (IM and Breath Control) - Grab a beverage of your choice and join Coach Bruce in this relaxing fireside chat about this week's focus on IM and breath control.
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of September 26th (SPEED!) - Start your engines! This week Coach Mel discusses the need for speed in your workouts.
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of September 19th (Freestyle Catch) - Coach Todd introduces three NEW drills focusing on the perfect freestyle catch in the water: Catch Kick, Doggy Scoops, and Catch Catch Pull.
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of September 12th (Dolphin kick off the wall) - Building off last week's focus on streamline positions, Coach Bruce discusses and demonstrates the dolphin kick off the wall as part of the streamline position. Bruce references the historic World Record swim by David Berkoff in the 1988 Olympic Games when he swam 35 meters underwater in streamline with dolphin kicks - here is the link to the Berkhoff Blast Off as it became known in 1988. (Note - the rules at this time required the swimmer to touch the wall on his back, before the rule change allowing rollover onto front, one arm stroke and flip).
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of September 5th (The "Fifth" stroke) - Coach Mel discusses this week's Drill with Purpose covering the often forgotten "fifth" stroke. A preview of what's to come for the next year with IAM is also announced.
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of August 29th (Freestyle Extension and Head Position) - Coach Todd discusses this week's Drill with Purpose with an emphasis on freestyle extension/set-up and head position including a new "contrast drill".
- Coach's Chat Vieo - Week of August 22nd (Breaststroke) - Coach Bruce, along with his new assistant, Ken, delivers this week's Drill with Purpose focusing on breaststroke.
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of August 15th (Backstroke) - Enjoy a taste of the Indiana State Fair with Coach Mel delivering this week's Drill with Purpose.
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of August 8th (Butterfly) - Coach Mel delivers this week's Drill with Purpose from Colombia at the Pan Am Masters Championship.
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of August 1st (Breaststroke Timing) - Coach Todd discusses breaststroke timing in terms of the pull versus the kick and reviews the drills this week to work on timing. Check out this supplemental video from USMS as well to view demonstrations for each drill.
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of July 25th (Freestyle Body Balance) - Coach Todd discusses body balance while swimming freestyle using a special guest, Riley, as demonstration. Also, check out this short supplemental video from GoSwim demonstrating body balance progression and the importance of core stability .
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of July 18th (Backstroke arm entry and underwater position) - Coach Bruce explains this week's Drill with Purpose including in water demonstrations and fun drills.
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of July 11th: Location Contest - Coach Mel discusses the importance of technique and butterfly drills from an undisclosed, mystery location. Where's Mel now?
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of July 4th - Coach Todd discusses this week's Drill with Purpose focusing on freestyle recovery, entry and setup along with open water demonstrations and a preview for what's to come this week.
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of June 27 (Butterfly Head Position & Arm Entry) - Coach Bruce discusses this week's Drill with Purpose focusing specifically on head position and arm entry for butterfly.
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of June 20 (Butterfly) - From Paris, France, Coach Mel delivers this week's drill focus with a demonstration.
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of June 13 (Flipturns and push offs) - Coach Todd explains the ins and outs of flipturns and push offs plus a preview of the workouts this week.
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of June 6 (Freestyle) - Coach Bruce discusses this week's drill focus on distance per stroke and the fist drill.
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of May 30 (Breaststroke) - Coach Mel discusses this week's Drill with Purpose.
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of May 23 (Backstroke) - Coach Todd explains and demonstrates this week's Drill with Purpose and previews the week of workouts ahead.
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of May 16 (Freestyle Efficiency) - Coach Bruce explains and demonstrates this week's Drill with Purpose.
- Coach's Chat Video - Week of May 8 (Butterfly) - Coach Mel describes this week's Drill with Purpose along with a demonstration.
U.S. MASTERS SWIMMING COVID-19 Member Resources - Numerous workouts and resources to assist the swimmers during the pandemic are available on the USMS website including: Resistance band workouts, "How to get through the loss of swimming", and "Coronavirus and Swimming: What you need to know".
TEST SET LOG - Monitor your progress by downloading this spreadsheet template and recording your results from the IAM test sets over the course of the year.
Favorite Swim Set - Submit your favorite swim sets to be included in upcoming workouts!
USMS WORKOUTS - Log into your USMS Account to obtain numerous workouts.
USA TRIATHLON DRYLAND STRETCH CORD WORKOUTS - Stretch cord workouts designed to help keep swim specific strength and conditioning during the shut-down.
30-DAY WORKOUT PLANS - Multiple workout plans including core, strength, cardio, yoga, and HIIT. Design a month worth of training by combining these simple workouts requiring little to no equipment.
SWIMSWAM AT HOME SWIM TRAINING - Various dryland workouts available that are designed for swimmers.
SWIMOUTLET LIVE WORKOUTS - Participate in live workouts every day at 1 pm EST on Swimoutlet's Instagram page. Workouts are designed for swimmers.
Disclaimer of Endorsement
Reference within this site to any specific commercial or non-commercial product, process, or service by trade name, trademark, manufacturer or otherwise does not constitute or imply an endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by Indy Aquatic Masters. References to our sponsors & partners or individuals are for information purposes only and does not constitute advice or imply an endorsement or any particular product or service.
Links to external, or third party websites, are provided solely for visitors’ convenience. Links taken to other sites are done so at your own risk and Indy Aquatics Masters accepts no liability for any linked sites or their content. When you access an external website, keep in mind that Indy Aquatic Masters, its employees and it's contractors have no control over the content. Any link from Indy Aquatic Masters’ website to an external website does not imply or mean that we endorse or accept any responsibility for the content or the use of such website.
Indy Aquatic Masters does not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of information contained on a linked website; does not endorse the organizations sponsoring linked websites; does not endorse the views they express or the products / services they offer; cannot authorize the use of copyrighted materials contained in linked websites. Users must request such authorization from the sponsor of the linked website. Indy Aquatic Masters are not responsible for transmissions users receive from linked websites.